Discretionary Assistance Fund - Are You Moving Home? When is DAF able to Assist?

Click Here to Apply Online or call 0800 859 5924 (free from a landline)

An IAP – Individual Assistance Grant

DAF will only award grant to people who are moving house under specific circumstances.

You will qualify for an IAP when moving house, under the following circumstances:

  • You are moving to permanent accommodation following an unsettled way of life. This could be a period of homelessness, rough or sofa sleeping or various B&B/emergency housing.
  • You are leaving an institution or care home and will be permanently establishing in the community. The DAF considers “institutions” to include hospitals, prisons, supported accommodation & foster care.
  • You are moving to ease exceptional and urgent pressure on your family. This must be due to a need that is not because of financial pressures associated with a low income i.e. move due to experiencing domestic violence, move due to needs of family member with disability, unsuitable housing (overcrowding, unfit accommodation). The Fund will expect that most moves will be a first attempt to re-establish in the community.

You will not qualify for an IAP if you move house in the following circumstances:

  • You have moved as a “move of choice” – i.e. to be closer to family, amenities, preferred location.
  • Your have moved because your new home will be more affordable.
  • You are moving from emergency to other temporary/short-term accommodation.

To ensure you know what the DAF will and will not award in an IAP grant check what DAF doesn’t support and check what you are likely to get.

If you are working with an organisation to support you, it may be worth speaking to your support worker or similar before you contact the DAF – they may be able to help you with your application. Click here to find out how to get help to complete an application.